Wisconsin, USA

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Lesson 126 ~ All I give is given to myself.

This idea is alien to ego and the thinking of the world, but is crucial to the thought reversal that this Course will bring about.  If I believed today's idea, I would have no problem in complete forgiveness.

I will consider what I do believe:  In the world it seems that other people are apart from me.  It seems my thoughts and attitudes have no effect on them, and their needs and appeals for help are in no way related to my own.  I also think that they can "sin" without affecting my perception of myself, and I can judge their sin yet remain apart from my condemnation and at peace.  When I "forgive" a sin, there is no gain to me directly.  Forgiveness is charity to someone probably unworthy, but this shows I am in a better place that the one I forgive.  He has not earned my forgiveness and is unworthy of the gift, because his sins have lowered him beneath a true equality with me.  My forgiveness does nothing for me, but holds out a gift to the other.

In the thinking of the world, forgiveness is good and kind yet undeserved; a gift bestowed at times, at other times withheld.  The sin that I forgive is not my own. Someone "apart from" me committed it. Forgiveness seems to be an eccentricity, in which I sometimes choose to give to the undeserving and sometimes not; yet the sinner cannot escape the payment he owes for his sin.

Do I really think the Lord of Heaven would allow salvation to depend on this thinking? He would care for me very little and my salvation would rest on a whim.  I do not understand forgiveness as I see it in the world of insanity.  True forgiveness must heal the mind that gives it, for giving is receiving.

Today I am trying to understand the Truth that giver and receiver are the same.  I need help understanding this because it is so alien to thoughts of the world, but the Help I need is there.  If I only catch a tiny glimpse of what today's idea means for me, this is a day of glory indeed.

I will give fifteen minutes twice today to attempt to understand today's idea for forgiveness to take its proper place in my priorities and help me realize its worth to me.

In silence I close my eyes on a world that does not understand forgiveness, and seek sanctuary in the quiet place where thoughts are changed and illusions laid aside.  I will repeat today's idea and ask for help in understanding what it really means.  I will be willing to be taught, and glad to hear the Voice of Truth and Healing speak to me.  I will understand the words He speaks, and recognize that He speaks the words of my Self as God's Son.

All I give is given to myself.  The Help I need to learn this is with me now and I will trust in Him.  I will spend a moment opening my mind to His correction and Love. What I hear of Him I will believe, and what He gives will be received by me.

"All I give is given to myself."

No comments:

Post a Comment