Wisconsin, USA

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Lesson 28 ~ Above all else, I want to see differently

My salvation in a "table."

God works with me where I think I exist ~ in a world of illusions.  Intellectually I may be able to accept the idea that I live in a world of illusions.  But to really understand and experience this Truth, is something I am incapable of on my own.

ACIM is a Course in mind training.  Mind is all that exists.  My thoughts create a world of illusions, and while I seem to see tables, chairs and other things, God will work with me at that very basic level to bring me back to my Awareness of Reality.

If I were to deny that I see illusions and go about in the illusory world talking and behaving as if it were false, I would look foolish and that would not help me at all. While I seem to "see" illusions, they are real for me.  I can say to myself, "well addiction is an illusion, so I can drink all I want."   WRONG.  I do not know at all what I am doing here, so it is best not to waste my time playing games. Just do the exercises and let God do the rest.  I will know, without a doubt, when God is working in my life, for the evidence will be irrefutable.

Baby steps.  Remember baby steps.

I could, in fact, gain salvation from a "table," if I would withdraw all my ideas about "tables," and look on them with a completely open mind.  A "table" has something to show me.  Something beautiful, clean, of infinite value, full of happiness and hope. Hidden under all my ideas about the purpose of anything, is Real Purpose.

Today I make a series of definite commitments.  I do not need to worry about whether I will keep these commitments.  That does not matter.  If I am willing to make these commitments now ~ this moment ~ is all that matters.  ACIM is new to me.  God knows this and He is Gentle and Kind, and He takes me by the hand awaiting my small efforts.

I may wonder at the silliness and simplicity of these lessons:  "Above all else I want to see this table differently."  How will this help me?

I see "separate" things around me.  Everything I see seems to be outside and apart from me. This really means I am not "seeing" at all.  I either See or I "see" nothing at all.  When I have Seen ONE thing differently, I will See ALL things differently. So I start with tables.  Baby steps.

When I say, "Above all else I want to see this table differently," I am making a commitment to lay aside all my ideas about "tables" and opening my mind to Reality. A table can represent everything in a world of illusion, and once I see one thing differently, I will see all things differently.  The Light I come to see in any one thing, is the same Light in All Things.  There is ONE Light.  I learn to See It by starting at the beginning, with a table.

I could in fact, gain Vision from just a table if I would withdraw all my thoughts about "tables," and look upon them with a completely open mind.  In using the table as a subject for applying today's idea, I am really asking to See Reality.  I will be making the same request of each subject I use in my practice periods.

Six times today, for a couple minutes each, apply today's idea to whatever I see, "Above all else, I want to see this _____ differently."   I am not really asking to see tables differently, I am asking to understand the thought that created that table; the table being one of many objects that were seemingly created to prove to me that I am separated from God.  Remember, slow, gentle, no anxieties, no worries, no expectations, no judgments, no anticipation, etc., just do the exercises, and give the rest over to God.


1 comment: